TAFITI CENTER FOR SECURITY POLICY conducts empirical research on Security and Countering Violent Extremism (CVE). The center also aims at promoting advocacy and dialogue among policy makers and practitioners to effect policy change for a peaceful and stable environment. The Center work is coordinated by Dr. Wilson Muna, an expert in security, governance, public policy and development.
To coordinate policy research on conflict and violent extremism across Africa and globally through networks and partnerships
African Observatory on Radicalization and Violent Extremism
The African Observatory on Radicalization and Violent Extremism is a scientific and research initiative dedicated to policy research and analysis on extremism and violence to drive evidence-based policy response and action.
In 2016, API jointly with the University of Nairobi established the Center for Counter-terrorism Studies (CCTS) to facilitate collaborative research, teaching and training on CVE related issues. API is in the RESOLVE Network which is dedicated to promoting empirical research globally.
The Observatory produces annual reports on Security Trends in Kenya, Trends in Radicalization and Violent Extremism in Africa and Africa Security Report (Bi-monthly reports) as well as regular briefs/Research Notes.
- Security Trends: API carries out Annual analysis on security trends in violent extremism, political violence and any incidence that destabilizes security.
- Trends on Violent Extremism – these are monthly analysis of the violent extremism around Africa.
- Institute of Diplomacy and International Studies (IDIS) – University of Nairobi
- National Counter Terrorism Center (NCTC)
- Institute for Peace and Security Studies – Addis Ababa University
- Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD)
- East African Community (EAC)
- African Union (AU)
- The Government of Japan
- RESOLVE Network – API is a Steering Committee member. http://www.resolvenet.org/network-partners
- Kenya CVE Network – is an informal group of organizations working on Countering Violent Extremism (CVE) issues in Kenya.
- Working Group on Managing Security Resources in East Africa – a joint initiative of the East African Community (EAC) and the African Center for Strategic Studies (ACSS) at the National Defence University, USA.